Friday, October 19, 2012

Fashion Star to Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Academy Grad Does It All

Academy of Art University’s School of Fashion graduate Kara Laricks, the winner of NBC reality show Fashion Star, is certainly a new face in the crowded sea of designers. Under the tutelage of design mentors Jessica Simpson, John Varvatos and Nicole Richie, Kara convinced the buyers’ judging panel from H&M, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue that her creations were worthy of the $6m capsule collection award. The show was a hit: Nielsen TV Ratings Data reported 4.81 million viewers for the finale, and NBC has already renewed Fashion Star for a second season and begun casting. Kara explains that the difference between her previous shows at fashion week and this one was, “In the past, if my collection was not well received, I was under the protective wing of The Academy of Art University, NBC, Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy’s, H&M … this time, the pressure was all on me. However, there was never any question as to whether or not I would continue designing post Fashion Star and I knew “sticking my neck out there” would be worth the risk no matter what the response. Now that my first collection has been shown at New York fashion week and the reviews are rolling in, I feel exhilarated, proud and accomplished. Can’t wait for the next!”
New York Observer September 17

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment